If you’re looking for stories, you’ve come to the right place.
I’m a screenwriter, first and foremost, but I LOVE storytelling that spans multiple platforms. On this site, you can find short screenplays, feature screenplays, short fiction, comics books, and links to short films that I’ve written both independently and as part of a writing team.
I’ve also got a Tips and Tricks section, where I share what I’ve learned about writing (and production) over the years.
So sit back, explore a while, and drink it all in. If you like what you see and you’re interested in collaborating on a project, you can visit the About page for my contact info.
Written and Illustrated by Jerod Brennen, Nik Poliwko, Derek Stewart, Roger Plymale
In “The Guardian”, the daughter of a minister must care for her mother, although the affliction her mother suffers from isn’t one that can be healed by traditional means. In “Corporate Soul”, a cubicle slave gets a good look at what lies in store for him at his corporate job. In “Reservation”, a young couple visits a Native American reservation and learns that the sins of the past have not been forgiven.
Fragments are horrific stories of broken things: broken families, broken promises, broken spirits. The stories contained in these pages, however, are not bound by ink and paper. If you’d like to see short films based on Fragments stories, visit http://bit.ly/fragmentsfilms.
Fragments #1 TM and © Jerod Brennen. All rights reserved.
Available for purchase from IndyPlanet.com.
Michael’s dread deepened on the ride to school. Each time he dared to peek outside the window, he saw the same thing: more nothingness. Every street was empty, every business closed. Michael didn’t see any cars on the road, either. Not even a single pair of headlights squinting back at him through the dreary mist.
I did it for love.
The first time I saw her, she was running. It wasn’t her bobbing ponytail that caught my eye, or her picturesque midriff. It was her running shoes. White, with just a hint of red. Innocent, with a hint of malice.
Her name was Belinda. An uncommon name for an uncommon beauty, but appropriate. In Italian, bella means beautiful, and lind is German for serpent or dragon.
Belinda. My beautiful dragon.
Finding her address wasn’t hard. I’d sit in my car day after day, watching her come and go. I’d say that it hurt when she brought another man home, but that word is merely a pale shadow of the emotional onslaught that followed.
Betrayal. Despair. Jealousy. Helplessness. Rage. My very soul was under attack, and I could only lie there and take it.
But I didn’t give in. I returned to that battlefield, night after night. And when I was strong enough, it was time to fight back.
That final night, when she arrived with her lover (her victim) in tow, I emerged from my car, battle-weary, battle-hardened. In one hand, I carried a length of rope. In my other hand, I carried my father’s 9mm, the same one he’d used to take his own life so many years ago.
I was ready.
If I hadn’t snuck in the back, hadn’t spied them wrapped in one another’s embrace on the couch, maybe I would have used the rope instead of the gun.
She was surprised, to say the least. It wasn’t the ring of the gunshot so much as the droplets of his blood on her face (white, with just a hint of red) that triggered her transformation. She shed her skin like a blanket on an autumn morning. Leathery wings sprouted from her back, as her prehensile tail whipped back and forth. And she shrieked. Oh god, how she shrieked.
She towered over me, that succubus from hell, with murder in her blood-red eyes. The man who’s life I’d ended was to be her first victim, and I was to be her next. My fingers knew what needed to be done before my mind could register the horror before me.
I emptied the 9mm clip into the demon. She shrieked her last, then fell to the floor, reverting to her human form.
I waited for the police, knowing full well they wouldn’t believe my story. Now, here in my cell, I write these words as my final confession. I did what needed to be done. I saved that man from eternal damnation, and I set Belinda’s soul free. When they come to escort me to meet my executioner, I can rest assured that I did the right thing.
I did it for love.
Originally submitted to Columbus Creative Cooperative.
I’m a husband, father, writer, gamer, and infosec geek. I’ve been an active screenwriter for some time now, independently producing and directing a number of my own short scripts. My experience behind the camera has helped me develop a writing style that translates well from script to screen.
In addition to being a screenwriter, I’m also a writer of short fiction and comic book scripts.
I know I’ve got a LOT of scripts and stories here on my site. You can use the Categories on the right to narrow down what you’re looking for.
On the awards front, I’ve had some success with short scripts as writer and co-writer, including:
- A Thousand Words: Bloodline – Best Horror Short, 2007 The Indie Gathering
- Bait – Production Option, Steven de Souza’s ‘Unknown Sender’ Season 2 Contest
- Carpool – Best U.S. Short, 2012 Nevermore Film Festival
- Carpool – Audience Favorite, 2011 Columbus 48 Hour Film Project
- Split – Audience Favorite, 2012 Columbus 48 Hour Film Project
- Unbroken – Best Film & Audience Favorite, 2012 MOFA 3 Days of Terror Contest
- Worth – Best Short (Jury Award & Audience Award), 2013 Intendence Film Festival
- Worth – Best Australian Short Film, 2013 Sandfly Film Festival
Although my shorts outnumber my features, I’ve also had a little luck with these screenplays:
If you find an unproduced script that you’d like to shoot, or if you’re interested in collaborating on a writing project, let me know. I’m ALWAYS interested in discussing new opportunities.
I’ve got the first 10 pages of each available here online. If you’d like to read more, just send an email my way.
- Contract – Supernatural Action Thriller
- Vida, a hitman from Hell, has one chance at redemption. All he has to do is murder the only woman he’s ever loved.
- Hush – Horror
- After Christine’s lover, Jenn, is murdered before her eyes, Christine runs away to her hometown to hide. When those responsible track Christine down in her hometown, Christine must face her fears and her lover’s murderers.
- Kilbourne Parish – Horror
- When the demented spirit of a murdered minister returns to the small town of Kilbourne Parish to exact his vengeance, Tommy and his friends find themselves in a struggle for survival against an unstoppable demon.
- No Boundary – Action
- On the night of his early retirement from the Special Force Police, Xiang Nan must choose between a life of peace and simplicity and returning to service stop a madman half a world away from murdering millions.
- The Amazing Spider-Man – Super Hero
- When Doc Connors’ regeneration experiment goes awry, Spidey finds himself pitted against Kraven the Hunter in a race to find and stop The Lizard, one way or another.
- This is a spec script I wrote for the Sam Raimi Spider-Man film series. The story picks up where Spider-Man 3 left off, following the Peter Parker / Mary Jane Watson / Gwen Stacy love triangle, and finally giving the audience the Lizard that Raimi had been teasing for two films.
- The script also features Kraven the Hunter as the star of a reality show where he hunts down wild animals all over the world. The fact that Kraven’s lead cameraman is named Irwin is no coincidence.
Shorts (26, produced)
- Bump – Horror, 3 pages [YouTube]
- Carpool – Horror/Comedy, 6 pages [Vimeo]
- Charity Case – Thriller, 10 pages [Vimeo]
- Corporate Soul – Horror, 4 pages [two versions on YouTube: Version 1 & Version 2]
- Dead Man’s Hand – Western, 5 pages [YouTube]
- Game Day – Horror, 4 pages [YouTube]
- Gnaw – Horror, 7 pages [YouTube]
- Hitmen – Crime/Drama/Thriller, 14 pages [Hitmen: The Series]
- Inconsolable – Horror, 4 pages [Whispering Daemon Productions]
- July in Christmas – Comedy, 7 pages [YouTube, updated title: What’s in the Box?]
- Newborn – Horror, 2 pages [Whispering Daemon Productions]
- Once More, With Feeling – Fantasy, 8 pages [Vimeo]
- Over Coffee – Fantasy, 18 pages [YouTube]
- Perennial – Romance, 6 pages [Whispering Daemon Productions]
- Reclamation – Drama, 15 pages [IMDB]
- Ringtone – Mockumentary, 8 pages [YouTube]
- The Secret Whispers of Mr. Feathers – Fantasy, 13 pages [Vimeo]
- Split – Comedy, 6 pages [YouTube]
- Support an Indie Filmmaker – Mockumentary, 17 pages [YouTube]
- A Thousand Words – Horror, 7 pages [YouTube]
- A Thousand Words: Bloodline – Horror, 25 pages [YouTube]
- A Thousand Words: Revelation – Horror, 26 pages [Trailer on YouTube]
- Unbroken – Horror, 7 pages [Vimeo]
- Waiver/Release – Drama, 4 pages [Whispering Daemon Productions]
- Workaholic – Horror, 3 pages [Whispering Daemon Productions]
- Worth – Crime/Drama/Thriller, 13 pages [Vimeo]
Shorts (44, unproduced)
- #nomorehipsters – Horror/Comedy, 8 pages
- Abandonment – Drama, 8 pages
- Abraham’s Promise – Horror, 12 pages
- Alone – Drama, 5 pages
- All Who Wander – Sci-Fi, 12 pages
- Amoreux Separes – Horror, 2 pages
- Apparently Not – Thriller, 14 pages
- Arcanum – Horror, 17 pages
- Artless – Horror, 21 pages
- Bad for Business – Horror, 5 pages
- Bait – Found Footage, 4 pages
- Believe – Horror, 5 pages
- Best Friends Forever – Horror, 27 pages
- Crazy – Horror, 6 pages
- Dashboard Confessional – Comedy, 3 pages
- Don’t Go – Horror, 12 pages
- Evil Dead : Resurrection – Horror, 5 pages
- Fight or Flight – Drama, 12 pages
- Gerdie – Fantasy, 5 pages
- The Girl or the Gloves – Sci-Fi, 5 pages
- Godfather Death – Fantasy, 5 pages
- Good Little Boys – Horror, 5 pages
- The Greatest Show (Left) On Earth – Sci-Fi, 5 pages
- Guardian – Horror, 5 pages
- Happy Birthday, Anna – Drama, 5 pages
- Head Games – Drama, 12 pages
- Heart’s Desire – Fantasy, 12 pages
- Hero for Hire – Super Hero, 10 pages
- Intrepido – Horror, 5 pages
- A Mother’s Love – Drama, 10 pages
- Nobody’s Perfect – Rom Com, 5 pages
- Nocturne de la Mort – Horror, 5 pages
- Reservation – Horror, 5 pages
- Sacrifice – Historical Drama, 5 pages
- Salvation – Sci-Fi, 15 pages
- Seeds of Eden – Fantasy, 13 pages
- Sign Off – Drama, 8 pages
- Sleep Tight – Horror, 3 pages
- Swing State – Comedy, 5 pages
- Tawba – Drama, 8 pages
- Tiger, Tiger – Rom Com, 5 pages
- Turn – Sci-Fi, 7 pages
- Unafraid – Fantasy, 6 pages
- White Knight – Thriller, 16 pages
- Work Brings Freedom – Historical Drama, 5 pages